[adelie-users] Adélie is now an SPI-affiliated project

From: Zach van Rijn <me_at_zv.io>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 09:41:31 -0500

Hi all,

We have some exciting news to share with you regarding two of the
most essential needs of a free software project: a mechanism for
receiving donations in a legitimate manner, and legal resources.

Most projects rely on contributors' volunteered time, skill, and
a healthy collaborative environment. Sometimes, and especially in
the case of a Linux distribution, this isn't enough to drive the
mission. There are other significant material needs.

These include things such as hardware for development/testing,
subscription services like domains and email, and occasionally
legal services to handle things like trademarks and contracts.

We're proud to announce that Adélie has been invited to become
affiliated with Software in the Public Interest, Inc., or SPI, to
help meet our needs. We join Debian and Arch among others:

    https://www.spi-inc.org/projects/adelielinux/

SPI is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity based in New York state and
is equipped to accept donations on our behalf and provide basic
legal services should the need arise. Nearly all SPI business is
completely transparent and public, including project finances,
since donations are tax-deductible and it's a legal requirement.

That said, we do actually need donations. We are hoping that this
infrastructure will make it easier for individuals and businesses
to support Adélie, for whom we are grateful. Please consider.

Stay tuned; this is just the tip of a fruitful iceberg.

ZV