TULSA, OKLAHOMA (31 May 2019) — The Adélie Linux Release Engineering
Team is pleased to announce the immediate release of Adélie Linux
1.0-BETA3 for all supported platforms:
Please note: This is a test release of Adélie Linux. While every care
has been taken to ensure the stability of the system, features and
packages may be missing or may not function correctly. You should always
back up your computer’s data before you install a new Linux distribution.
Tier 1 platforms supported for this release: 32-bit PowerPC, 64-bit
PowerPC, 32-bit Intel x86, 64-bit Intel x86, 64-bit ARM (AArch64).
Tier 2 platforms supported for this release: ARMv7.
* GCC has been updated to 8.3.0, and the entire distribution has been
rebuilt using it.
* gcompat has been updated to support more glibc software. libucontext
has been updated to support all Tier 1 architectures.
* The Go programming language is now available via gcc-go.
* Ghostscript is now available, which allows most printers to function
using CUPS and Gutenprint.
* Java is now available.
* LLVM and Clang have been updated to 8.0.0. Additionally, our LLVM
package now supports the SPARC and WebAssembly targets.
* The MATE desktop environment is now available.
* MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) support, used by many digital cameras,
has been added.
* NetworkManager and ModemManager are now available, and have been
tested and are known to work.
* Qt 5 Speech is now packaged, allowing some applications to deliver
* XScreenSaver is now available.
* Development: Sphinx and Subversion are now available.
* Fonts: Nearly 50 new fonts have been added.
* KDE: Applications has been updated to 19.04.1, Frameworks have been
updated to 5.54.0.
* Networking: iw, netqmail, Netsurf, NFS, NMap, Postfix, RDesktop, and
WireGuard are now available.
* Productivity: AbiWord, Evince, Gnumeric, and LibreOffice are now
* …and over a thousand other enhancements, upgrades, and fixes!
Support for ARMv7 is offered on a limited testing basis only, and ARMv7
remains a Tier 2 architecture. The system/ repository is available for
ARMv7 in Adélie Linux 1.0-BETA3. The user/ repository is not available.
64-bit ARM (AArch64)
Full support for the Raspberry Pi 3 has been added to easy-kernel.
An issue with USB booting on 32-bit PowerPC has been fixed.
Many issues involving booting our live and full-install media have been
fixed on 64-bit PowerPC. Our 1.0-BETA3 media has been tested on Power
Mac G5, IBM POWER6, Raptor Talos II, QEMU KVM, and Raptor Blackbird.
Intel x86 (all)
Media support for EFI has been fixed.
There were 1683 commits to packages.git between 1.0-BETA2 and 1.0-BETA3,
by twelve developers:
933 A. Wilcox
547 Kiyoshi Aman
53 Luis Ressel
35 Max Rees
15 Laurent Bercot
12 Dan Theisen
2 Bobby Bingham
2 Gavin Howard
2 Samuel Holland
1 Brandon Bergren
We welcomed Luis Ressel (aranea@) and sysvinit@ as a committer during
this release cycle.
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux